Comments disappearing from the text

A lot of my annotations for different assignments have disappeared completely and they are no where to be found. I have tried refreshing the page and logging out and logging back in and nothing seems to bring them back. Also, A lot of the comments don’t stick to the text so they are in the sidebar but not attached to any words or sentences in the text itself. I also cannot view the “class” comments. Please help!

Hi @MKS

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble! Could you reply with links to the texts in question?

Thanks,

Jamie

Hi again, @MKS,

Let me know if this didn’t get resolved. Apart from your not having a valid session when you were trying to access those documents, the only scenario I can imagine that would explain what you described is if you did a large number of annotations while you were in fact logged out. In that case, they would not have been saved, but you would have seen an error message each time saying that your annotation had not been saved, so I don’t imagine that’s what happened.

One thing you could try is clearing your browser cookies and cache, to be sure that you’re not seeing cached pages, and that you don’t have a stale login session cookie hanging around. There are different steps for each browser, but I’ll be around for another 30 minutes or so if you need help.

Thanks!

Jamie

Hi @MKS,

Can I infer that you’ve sorted this out? Let us know if not!

Thanks,

Jamie

Hi @MKS

[reposting my email on the forum for the benefit of others who may be having this same issue]

I see lots of annotations on that document, actually, by you and others.

A couple of tips:

1. If you click the “gear” (tools) menu in the navigation bar, and select “Whole document”, you should see them too (those that you made). Circled in red in the screenshot below.

2. In addition, if you and others (your students, for example) are both in the same class(es), and/or group(s), you should be able to see any annotations they made, on which they checked the “Allow my groups to view this annotation” box. Those would be visible if you click the “Groups” or “Classes” buttons under that same slide-out gear menu.

3. Note that I have an “All” button visible in this screenshot which you probably don’t have — that’s for administrators. I can grant you access to that if it’s helpful, once we’ve sorted out what’s going on with your document.

I hope that helps!

Best,

Jamie

Hi, it seems I am also having a similar issue with the annotations. I have followed your advice suggestions to the person who made this comment but it seems that for the ‘El llano en llamas’ text by Juan Rulfo, the annotations for only certain assignments (such as ‘Macario’) are disappearing. The assignments I have done recently are sticking as are the ones I first did using annotation studio, but the ones in between seems to be deleting. This is a problem that several of the students are having in my class with the texts.

Thank you,
Sidra

Hi @narvaez_sidra,

Thanks for posting your question. May I ask whether you and/or your classmates are seeing similar problems with other texts? Or for the most part is it just with this document that you’re having trouble?

Best,

Jamie

I believe that it is just with this text.

Sidra

Hi @narvaez_sidra and @MKS,

I’ve made some manual adjustments to el-llano-en-llamas, and it appears to me that it’s working properly.

There were some annotations that did not contain any anchors to the text. I don’t know how those malformed annotations crept in, but removing them may have corrected this issue.

Note that with a long text like this one, and with the larger number of annotations on it, if you turn off all filters, as I described earlier, you may have to wait a few seconds for the browser to fetch and render the whole text, all the hightlights, and the sidebar.

Let me know whether or not this issue is resolved from your point of view.

Thanks!

Jamie

Hi again @MKS,

One other thing – you’ve embedded a pointer to an image in the text, and that image (in fact the whole website it was perhaps once served from), does not load. The URL in question is: http://origenoticias.com/wp-content/uploads/et_temp/El-llano-en-llamas-168800_630x280.jpg

That shouldn’t create any issues with Annotation Studio, but it’s something to watch for in the future, as you create texts, since once a document changed from draft mode to published mode to allow annotations, it can no longer be edited, so that error will not be removable.

Best,

Jamie