Annotations distorted when using Windows

Hello All,

Sorry to again fill the forum with my problems, but I was hoping you all would be able to help me out with – hopefully – the last issue.

One of my students is using a PC (Windows 8.1) and when he annotates the text, the annotations get chopped off after one word. This is both in the little preview in the left-hand column and in the expanded version that appears when you click on it. The same goes for paragraph breaks.

Sorry if this is vague – as I said, it is a student and, though I watched him try to make the annotations, so I can confirm that it is happening – I don’t have the computer in front of me.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

With thanks

charles

Hi @cclavey,

This could be a number of things. Two come to mind right off the bat.

1. If the user is using Internet Explorer, which isn’t supported at all.
  2. If the machine is a touchscreen laptop of some sort (surface, or other), it will be detected as a mobile device, and served an alternative interface that works on tablets and phones. Since the UI is expecting touch input from those kinds of devices, mouse input doesn’t work properly. If you can tell me the make and model of the machine, we can investigate. Quick solutions point would include: asking the student to use the touchscreen instead of the mouse, or asking him/her to use a browser that allows the user to set the User Agent (browser, OS, etc) explicitly, to pretend to be a non-mobile device. We’re compiling a list of machines that are seen as mobile but shouldn’t be.

Best,

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Thanks once again for your quick response. He is using Chrome, but it is a touchscreen – a Lenovo Thinkpad T440s.

I will forward your instructions to him and hope that this helps.

Thanks again,

Charles

To add to Jamie’s suggestion to use another browser, I’ve often found that touchscreen users who switch from Chrome to Firefox have no problem. And they do not have to change any of the default settings in Firefox.